The first step starts here.
Becoming a member of the oldest fraternity in the world known as Freemasonry is a relatively simple process. However, there are a few requirements:
- be a man at least 18 years of age;
- be of good moral character;
- have personal beliefs in a Supreme Being and the resurrection of the soul (the definitions of these terms is up to you);
- decide to become a Mason of your own free will and accord;
- be loyal to your country;
- be dedicated to providing for your family and those dependent upon you;
- have a sincere determination to conduct yourself in a manner that will earn the respect and trust of others; and
- possess a desire to help others through community service and universal benevolence.
Follow these steps to become a member:
- Talk with someone you know who is a Mason. If you do not know anyone who is a Mason, please use the form below. You’ll need to express your personal interest in joining the fraternity.
- Complete a petition for membership and return it to your local lodge with the proper fees. Three members will meet with you to answer your questions. Your petition will be presented for secret ballot. If accepted, you will be notified when and where to appear to receive the first of the three degrees of Freemasonry.